Tuesday, August 9, 2011

More Book Reviews

Fallen Series by Lauren Kate: Fallen, Torment, and Passion, Teen Fic Kate. I really liked the Fallen series by Lauren Kate. It’s a sci-fi love story that’s different than the vampire craze. I like learning about the characters and the history of their lives as the story goes on. I like the second one the best where Luce makes new friends at her new school (which I like better than the school in the first book). The only thing I would complain about is the confusion that comes with reading the third book and how the main character Luce often takes selfish actions and does whatever she is told not to do. -- Sarah, Grade 12

Tyrell by Coe Booth, Teen Fic Booth. I really liked the book Tyrell because it told a story sbout people's lives. Not everyone knows what goes on in someone's life and the stuff told about in this book is true. It told about his life and what he went through every day like how his mother expects him to make money and how his dad is in jail. Stuff like this happens every day in people's lives. -- Felicia, Grade 9

I Could Not Call Him Father by Beverly Mattox. I loved I Could Not Call Him Father because it was a tearjerker. It was such an easy read and very captivating. It is triumphant story of a woman who truly overcomes. She faced difficult circumstances and prevailed. The book left you feeling energized and uplifted. -- Marissa, Grade 10

Prophecy of the Sisters by Michelle Zink, Teen Fic Zink. Browsing the shelves of the teen section in the library late one evening, I stumbled across a book called Prophecy of the Sisters by Michelle Zink. I decided to give it a try, although I had never heard of it before, and wasn’t even completely sure as to what it was about. I finished the book not even 10 minutes ago, and I can definitely say I am glad I gave it a chance. I liked it not only because it was historical fiction (my favorite genre), but because it tied in mythology and mystery too. It maintained a sense of dark suspense the whole way through, which was perfect considering its Edwardian setting, and which made it nearly impossible to put down. I plan on starting the sequel as soon as possible. -- Kelsey, Grade 12


Heaven is a Playground by Rick Telander, 796.323 Tel. I recently read Heaven is a Playground by Rick Telander. I enjoyed this book because it is filled with clever writing and depictions of the many people involved in the book. It revolves around the summers of 1973 and 1974 that Rick Telander spent in the parks of New York City. He spent these summers playing and watching talented inner-city athletes play basketball. He listened and wrote about the children and young adults struggling to survive ghetto life and depicted their ultimate dream of playing in the ABA or NBA. -- Avery, Grade 9

The Maze Runner by James Dashner, Teen Fic Dashner. I read The Maze Runner by James Dashner. It was very good. It had a very well thought out plot that had you trying to guess what would happen next. There was also a lot of action and adventure that moved the story along well. The main character was relatable, but also had a side the reader might not like, adding more depth to him. -- Lillie, Grade 10

No comments: